Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pray For It To Stop

Eat Pray Love "Liz Gilbert, played by Julia Roberts, has everything a modern woman is supposed to dream of having - a husband, a house, a good job - yet like so many others, she found herself feeling overwhelmed, confused, and searching for what she thought she wanted in life..." In this movie, the marriage doesn't seem to have any real problems. We never witness a fight. Her husband doesn't seem like a cheater or a sleaze. In fact, overall he seems like a very decent individual that she clearly cared for. Was the problem that he wanted to someday have a family and she had sworn off ever having children? (A quick detour; What kind of woman never wants to have kids? There are obviously some deep-seeded issues with a woman who is committed to NOT having kids. As humans we are sort of "pre-programmed" to have certain instincts and desires, like self-preservation and for most women - child bearing.) Anyway, all in a moment of detachment and self-pity, she wakes her husband and tells him that she doesn't want to be married anymore. He is left off-guard, dejected and without any real explanation. I wish I had realized that what I was beginning would end up being 2+ hours of some of the most frustratingly painful story ever put on film. Based on a true story I might add. This woman Elizabeth is supposed to be the protagonist? A hero? An example? I'm supposed to somehow side with this heartless broad? So, off she goes on a mission of pure self-indulgence. Lots of traveling, lots of food and lots of meaningless flings with random men. I guess only if she were harpooning special-needs dolphins could she possibly seem like a more unlikable, self-absorbed, narcissistic shrew. Is she supposed to be inspiring to the viewers? I mean, what exactly is the message? Are we supposed to resolve to all abandon are spouses when we face a difficult time? This movie pisses me off! "Hey, if for whatever reason you run into a trial in your life, you will find solace and satisfaction only if you abandon everyone who loves you, glut yourself on any food you see and hookup with whoever makes you feel wanted at the moment!" Awesome! Message received. I'm sorry, but through the entire movie I kept wondering about her poor ex-husband. There is a scene in the movie where he is refusing to divorce her. He seems confused and betrayed, wanting so sort things out. After finally realizing that he is completely helpless, he grants her the divorce and is left alone and depressed with his life now torn apart. He looks victimized, and she comes off looking like a shallow, pleasure-seeking, responsibility-avoiding, escapist. By the way, if the main character in this movie was a man, there would be women's rights groups picketing every showing, and there would be endless screaming on daytime talk shows by the likes of Oprah and Tyra. I hate this movie. I hate the main character. I hate the message. Its not engaging. Its not inspiring. Well, I feel like I'm running out of steam convincing you that this is not worth anybodies time. Please, do not support this garbage. The only redeeming quality after sitting through all of the nonsense was seeing the ex-husband at the end, happily married with a kid. I wish I could sue the studio that created this for the dollar it cost me to Redbox it and for the 2+ hours of my life I'll never get back.

2 comments:

  1. I think women like this movie because it makes them feel less helpless. Although I think you were a bit harder on it then need be, I can understand why and I mostly agree with you, this movie sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, so I admit to being slightly biased, but seriously... horrible message.

    ReplyDelete