Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Universal Shower

Okay, I feel like I've stood idly by and watched this problem be overlooked and ignored for too long. I am a morning showerer. Sometimes if I've had a particularly disgusting day - perhaps i played some drop-in hockey, or spent some time cleaning up the crawl-space under my home - then I would feel inclined to shower before I laid my smelly soul to rest in my bed, but 98% of the time I shower first thing in the morning. It wakes me up, its refreshing, it gets me out of my pajamas and helps to rinse off that flop-sweat I seem to be getting while I sleep more and more as I get older. That's fine except, depending on when I wake up, I get a Pandora's box of water temperature spewing from my shower head. I cant figure out if it has something to do with the time of day, or just depends on when my brother has showered, run the washing machine et cetera. Now, I recently got back from a trip to see my family in California and had the privilege of staying with my older brother Josh and his wife and boys at their home. Nice place, but when I went to take a shower, I felt like a complete retard trying to figure out how to get the right temperature going. I imagine I looked a lot like if someone were to introduce George Washington to an iPhone, or Britney Spears to the game of chess. I kind of just stared at it cross-eyed with spittle dripping from my mouth for a good 9 seconds. It was one of those old school type of showers that had two nobs (neither one labeled with words or colors) that you have to mix like the worlds lamest chemistry set. Not only that, but both nobs turn forty-five times, eighteen of those times occurs before water even begins to trickle out, so you get carpal tunnel from twisting them before you figure out which ones hot and which ones cold because it takes so long for the water temperature to adjust to your incessant turning. After a few minutes my brother calls in through the door "You figure out the shower in there alright?" To which I mask my frustration with a more grateful tone and reply "Oh yeah, not a problem!" Now since the water has been running and running and only my hands are wet from reaching in I start to feel the pressure of what they can only be imagining is taking me so long, so I just jump in. Thank goodness I somehow managed to get the water a few degrees above freezing so I narrowly avoided hypothermia. Some version of this same thing happens every time I visit a friends house or stay in a hotel. I cant figure out why we cant universalize this whole shower thing and put my shower-nob-anxiety to bed for good. Here in America we have certain things we've all agreed upon to make things easier. We drive on the right side of the road, doorknobs turn toward the hinges to open, side-by-side refrigerators have the freezer on the left... why cant we agree upon a shower system?! Seriously, some have the nob you have to pull out from the wall first, some look like a stick shift, some have the dial that goes clockwise to get hot and some have dials that go counterclockwise. How many millions of gallons of water are wasted by people like me who are scared the water is going to be so cold it will flash freeze them like a salmon or so hot it will boil them alive like a frickin' lobster!? So this is my proposed solution; we work showers across the states like we do an oven. Not the old turn the dial past broil and then a few clicks past 325 degrees ones though. The new kind of ovens are the ones I'm talking about. The ones that have a digital display and an up arrow and a down arrow. So, when I get up in the morning I go to the shower panel, I press the arrows until I get it to my preferred temperature, somewhere around 108 degrees (higher in the winter and lower in the summer months) and let it begin to run and "pre-heat". It gives me enough time to take my morning whiz, and then, when its reached my desired temp a little light could click on, or off, or whatever to indicate its ready and I jump right in nary a headache over the nobs again! I'm just asking for some uniformity, and if we can do it for an oven, I'm pretty sure we can do it for a shower without it costing an arm and a leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment